Tuesday, May 4

Germany, and the process of getting here.

So I dont have pictures, or an apostophe key, and I am typing on a German keyboard, just a warning.

We are in Jena safe and sound and all is well. Now let me tell you the epic journey that got us here.

On thursday morning we left my in-laws house at 3 am because our flight left Salt Lake at 6 am. We are driving through park city when all of a sudden, blizzard. Seriously, a blizzard. It was the worst I have ever been in. Yep, worse than the storm we hit coming back from Arizona with the Bentons. So we are diving through a blizzard at 3 am but we somehow make it out of the canyon and to the airport with plenty of time. We go to check in and because we are taking in international flight we have to go to the desk and have our passports checked. The person behind the desk looks at our passports and checks in the computer and tells us we dont have a reservation. BA-WAH? So we atart feaking out and she eventually finds that we we do have a reservation but on the 8:15 flight not the 6:00 flight aparenty our booking agency changed it and forgot to notify us. She says that there is room on the 6:00 flight and that she would rebook us on that flight for free. So we decide to do that.

We get to Dallas and have 5 hour layover and everything is fine. Our flight to Frankfurt goes swimmingly except for the fact that I am seated across the eisle from a world class snorer. Seriously, I could not even be mad, it was that impressive. The downside is that I really did not get to sleep. So we arrive in Frankfurt at 8:30 am local time which means that I have been running on about 2 hours of sleep for the last 23 hours. We then take a series of 2 trains for a total of 2 and a half hours and arrive in Jena at about 2:30pm. We are met at the trainstation by a woman from the Max Plank Institute who first takes us grocery shopping and the to our apartment. Our apartment is a studio with a stove but no oven, which I do not mind because if i want baked good there are bakeries everywhere. We have a balcony and behind our apartment is a forest, yes a forest. I like to sit on the balcony drinking tea and reading.

Anyway, we get to the apartment and Evelyn (the woman from the institute) tells we are now going to meet everybody at the institute.

Ummm...Okay...

We look like haggard bums but I guess they will just have to deal with that.

We finaly get home at abozt 5 pm. I have now been awake for about 30 hours straight and I had only had about 2 hours of sleep the night we left. I was beyond tired. I was in a haze. Tyler and I decide to check out the innenstadt (downtown). It is really quite nice and has a shopping mall and everything. We went back home after we bought me a monatskarte for the bus. A month pass. We got home around 8 and I literally fell asleep in about 2 minutes and did not wake up until noon the next day.

I will tell you more about what has happened since then at another time. Typing this has been a long process on a keyboard where the letters are not in the places I am used to.

Till then, Tchuss!

2 comments:

Laura, Ella, and a Pair of Toms said...

YAY!!!! I'm so jealous!!!! :) Be sure to eat lots of Topfen *drool* and griesknockerl (sp?) suppe Mmmm...soooo yummy! The doppelcake cookies are SUPER yummy, too! Ah! I'm so jealous!!!!! :)

Czechdeb said...

Becca-

So glad you posted this! What an adventure! I miss you and I'm thinking of you!